The Venus de Milo was discovered on April 8, 1820, on the Aegean island of Melos (now Milos) in Greece by a farmer named Yorgos Kentrotas. The statue was found in several pieces within a niche in an ancient wall ruins. It was later acquired by the French and presented to King Louis XVIII, reconstructed, and put on display in the Louvre in Paris in 1821.
The Ancient Greek sculpture from the Hellenistic period (ca. 100-130 BC), also known as the Aphrodite of Milos, representing the goddess Aphrodite (Venus), is made of Parian marble. It was found in two main pieces (torso and lower body) with missing arms which have never been found. Fragments of an arm and a hand holding an apple were found nearby but were never reattached, and their original position is still a mystery. The sculpture, stands slightly larger than life at approximately 6 feet 8 inches (203–204 cm) tall. An exact replica of the Venus de Milo is on display at the Archaeological Museum of Milos in Greece.